“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book”
It is true that a visual impression lasts longer in our memory than audio or texts but I doubt everything we see is worth retaining. It looks like the technology took the supersonic jet towards innovation but content somehow missed the flight. TV is called the ‘idiot box’ for a reason and I bet it has something to do with the shows. Nowadays, we have a plethora of TV channels which we can flip through for hours but only a few that can give some rest to the remote. I love the fast paced, content driven shows with least amount of excess baggage and the typically nice ones would include the following:
1. The crime thriller classic- Castle
2. History & Mythology shows on Epic- Devlok, Epicgrams etc
3. The ones with positive vibes- Zindagi isi ka naam hai hosted by Amitabh Bachchan himself
4. Almost anything on Natgeo- Genius
5. Sci-fi & fantasy- Agents of shield
If I Could Create A TV Show...
If I could make a TV show it would definitely be a story set in an Indian hospital. We have seen some classics on English television like House MD and Greys anatomy but none on Indian channels. Long time back a show called ‘sanjivani’ was born but it soon turned into the same old love triangle and sas-bahu drama. I really crave for a medico show with realistic characters and believable situations. I think the real Indian doctor has never been portrayed on TV and their poor brand image as projected in biased media reports is making the situation worse. Most of the times the good work fails to come out of the gremlin-stricken facade and the incessant efforts of the doctors remains unappreciated. We only get to see the MunnaBhais (funny but unreal) and the money hungry goons in ‘Gabbar is back’ and the media never misses an opportunity to paint an ugly picture on their face. I guess the Idiot box is getting sicker and we should call a doctor before it’s too late. I can only imagine the possibilities...the comic scenarios, the clinical cases, the intense drama, emotional turmoil, the twists & turns and the ironies...all concentrated in a single show.
Why a Medico TV show should be made?
- It’s a novel concept on Indian television and it has never been seen.
- It’s intriguing and intellectual shows are anyway scarce on the Idiot box.
- Who wouldn’t like an intense series with the script in main lead and may be a comic twist?
- It has the potential to become the next big thing on TV.
- It is required to portray the real life of a medico and create a positive image.
- We all need a break from the ‘ichchadhari nevla’.
The list may go on forever but I don’t need any more reasons to make a TV show out of it and if I could ever make it a reality.....I will.
I hope you like it:-)
This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda. This week’s WOW prompt is – ‘If I Could Create A TV Show’.